Monday 1 February 2016

Novak Djokovic defeats Andy Murray to win Australian Open title


Novak Djokovic beat Andy Murray in straight sets to win the Australian open today. The world number beat Murray 6-1, 7-5, 7-6 in two hours and 53 minutes.

With this loss, Murray, who's expecting his first child, becomes the first player in the post-1968 Open Era to lose 5 finals at the same Grand Slam since Ivan Lendl at the US Open who eventually won it.


Djokovic who claimed his third straight Slam, equals Rod Laver and Bjorn Borg on eleven Major titles.

A downcast-sounding Murray paid an emotional tribute afterwards on the podium to his wife Kim:
'She's going to be watching back home just now. You've been a legend the last two weeks. Thanks for all your support and I'll be on the next flight home. I feel like I've been here before. I'd like to congratulate Novak. Six Australian Opens is an incredible feat and also for what he's done the last year or so. It's been incredible consistency. 'I'd like to thank my team for getting me into this position and helping me prepare for this. It's been a tough few weeks for me away from the court.'

No comments:

Post a Comment